Friday, June 02, 2006

On cowardice

I don't understand how some people are so afraid to take chances. Being a risk-taker, I just can't fathom why people play it safe. Does that bring them fulfillment? Does that provide satisfaction? If so, then they must be living shallow lives.

People who don't take risks are cowards in my book. I guess they just can't handle defeat. They're probably used to getting the short end of the stick so they want out.

One can argue that those who always play it safe never lose... but they never achieve victory either.

1 comment:

Barry Groover said...

Mabuhay!

I agree, to a degree, with what you say about them being cowards. That is how it appears on the surface to me. And I definitely believe their lives could not possibly be as good and fulfilling as they might want it to be.

I can speak only for my country, but I believe the problem lies not so much in fear, but also largely in laziness. An inability to provide their own impetus to get off the couch. We have remotes for almost everything. Microwave dinners or other fast food. Everything is instand and easy, no delayed gratification here.

Their satisfaction come from sixty second meals and defeating the internet gameplayer they will never meet in person because, again, that would require getting up off the couch for longer than a minute. And that is sad. Because it is more and more prevalent in my society, and apparently it is becoming a worldwide phenomena.

I keep stretching myself because I want to be more than what I am now. And I'll never accomplish that on a couch watching tv or playing games all day.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. May you be very lucky this day and always.