Monday, June 18, 2007

A genuine Real Madrid fan

I grew up a Real Madrid fan, but not because of superstar names like Zidane, Figo and Beckham. There weren't any of these Galacticos back in the day.

It was because of my mom's older sister. Soon after graduating college in the late 60's, my aunt moved to Madrid. Apparently, it has been her dream to live and settle in Spain. She was your typical European football fanatic. She loved Real Madrid, and hated Barcelona. She'd show us photos of her in the famed Santiago de Bernabeu, Real's legendary homeground. She always made it a point to send us (well, me in particular cause I was the footballer in the family) Real Madrid kits - jerseys, shorts, socks, collectibles and memorabilia.

She loved Spain, she loved Real Madrid. She was your typical football fanatic, until the day she passed away, one morning in December of 1996.

With this latest Madrid triumph, their 30th Spanish league title, I'm sure she's delighted. With Barcelona finishing second, I'm certain it makes it all the more special.

No comments: