Saturday, September 30, 2006

Eaglets soar high

I watched the Ateneo High School boys win the UAAP Juniors basketball title earlier this afternoon. Hats off to these kids who have proved to everyone that they owned season 69. Having had a 12-game sweep during the elimination round, the only glitch on their erstwhile perfect season was an upset during Game 1 of the Finals. They quickly got back to form sweeping the next two games against a very tall, athletic but inexperienced FEU team. It was Ateneo's 15th championship in the Juniors division.

Eaglet Raymond Austria bagged the Juniors MVP trophy. I'm sure his dad, cager-turned-coach Leo, was prouder seeing his boy succeed at the high school level than his triumph leading Adamson to their first final four appearance.

It conjured a lot of memories for me back in my high school days. We were blessed to have reached the UAAP Finals in all four years of my stay. During my senior year, my class had two players from the Juniors squad. Though they weren't part of the regular rotation, it was enjoyable for the whole class to watch the games and show our classmates some love. Shoutout to Marti Gallego and Paolo Santos. 4L 1999 represent.

No comments: