Thursday, April 17, 2008

NBA Playoffs

The NBA regular season officially ended today and the playoffs shall start this weekend. The Eastern Conference should be easier to predict, while the West circus will be very interesting to watch.

Here are the matchups plus my take on who'll advance to the next round:

EAST (Team in bold has homecourt advantage)

(1)Boston Celtics vs (8)Atlanta Hawks

- The Celtics Big Three (KG, the Truth and Jesus) vs Atlanta's three (JJ, JSmooth and Bibby). Atlanta has absolutely no chance. I say Beantown sweeps this one by a mile, 4-0.

(2)Detroit Pistons vs (7)Philadelphia 76ers

- The playoffs bring out the best in Detroit basketball. I'd go for another Piston sweep.

(3)Orlando Magic vs (6)Toronto Raptors

- Dwight Howard vs. Chris Bosh? This is difficult, but I'll go with a Canadian upset, 4-3.

(4)Cleveland Cavaliers vs (5)Washington Wizards

- King James vs Agent Zero Deshawn Stevenson? Cavs take this one in 6 games.

WEST (Teams in caps have homecourt advantage)

(1)Los Angeles Lakers vs (8)Denver Nuggets

- My mind tells me it's Kobe, but my heart says it's Carmelo. I'll follow my heart and go with a giant Nugget upset, 4-3.

(2)New Orleans Hornets vs Dallas Mavericks

- I'll take Chris Paul over Dirk Nowitski all day, everyday. Hornets in 6.

(3)San Antonio Spurs vs Phoenix

- I hate Tim Duncan, I love Steve Nash. The Suns in 7.

(4)Utah Jazz vs (5)Houston Rockets

- The Rockets have been awesome even without Yao Ming. They'll take the series in 5 games.

5 comments:

JC said...

My picks:

EAST:
Celtics sweep Hawks
Pistons over Sixers in 5
Magic over Raps in 6
Cavs over Wizards in 5

WEST:
Lakers over Nuggets in 5
Hornets over Mavs in 6
Spurs over Suns in 7 (though agree with you am hoping Suns pull it out)
Rockets over Jazz in 6

Gameover said...

JC, your picks are too safe! You basically went with all the higher seeds (Houston has a better record than Utah, but the Jazz get 4th seed as division champions)

Anyway, as long as Boston goes all the way, I couldn't care less what else happens.

From an NBA standpoint, I'm sure they'll kill for a Lakers-Celtics finals matchup. It would be screaming box office hits. Conspiracy theorists believe David Stern will pull this off.

JC said...

I think the only higher seeds that are susceptible to upsets are Cavs, Hornets, and Rockets, though the Spurs seem less stable than usual this year.

As for Boston, I was pro Lakers before (I preferred Magic/Worthy over Bird), but am reversed now (I don't like Kobe).

Gameover said...

I don't like Kobe too, but I admire his unparalleled competitiveness. I can't see anyone else in today's game focus better. Once he gets in the zone, it's over.

Reminds me of some dude named Michael Jordan.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If ossible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aparelho de DVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aparelho-dvd.blogspot.com. A hug.