Friday, July 04, 2008

Do you believe in Magic?

I used to play Magic: The Gathering when I was in high school. I remember getting introduced to it by my brother and I was instantly hooked. I clearly remember skipping meals saving my allowance to buy the dopest cards I could afford. It was a rich man's game though. Unlike other games, the best Magic cards come with a hefty pricetag. Students were no match to the purchasing power of the older folks.

For this reason, I decided to browse Ebay for rare MTG cards. I'm not planning to start playing again but I was just interested in knowing how much a badass deck would cost now.

When I was still playing back in 1995-96, one can get hold of a tournament-grade deck (complete with all the Power Nine cards) for about Php 40k. But now, judging from the average prices on Ebay, you'd be lucky to come up with a Type 1 deck for about USD 10k. That's almost enough to buy you a compact car.

Had I known this will happen, maybe I should've kept my set. It would've been worth a small fortune 13 years after.

Then again, hindsight is and will always be 20/20.

the Black Lotus, the holy grail of Magic cards

No comments: