Sunday, May 03, 2009

Feels weird to be out of IBM Basketball

I played hoops with my former IBM teammates yesterday. Haven't shared the same court with them ever since the MCBL championship game last December. Moreover, I left the company soon after so I haven't seen most of them since then. They're now getting ready for the 2009 MPG Corporate Basketball League (MCBL) that starts next weekend.

Modesty aside, I built the IBM basketball program from scratch in mid-2007. Since then, we've joined three leagues and we've never finished lower than 3rd. We've gotten two runners-up trophies while placing third once. We've also produced one MVP, one Best Defensive Player, 5 First Teamers, a few more Second Team players and numerous league statistical leaders. Pretty good for a group that had no organized basketball team before.

This season, like our previous ones, I think they have a great chance of getting back to the finals for a third consecutive time. Hopefully, they'll end up winning this time around. I'm sure, like me, they're tired of playing bridesmaid again.

I may not be part of the team and of the program anymore but I'm confident they will be able to continue what I started. We've never missed the playoffs while I was at the helm so I hope they keep that streak going. I left the team in good hands so I'm sure they know what to do.

Good luck, have fun and don't embarass yourselves, boys.

I will miss playing with all of you.

No comments: