Tuesday, February 03, 2015

The Butler did it


I was on the phone with my bestfriend during the final minute or so of Super Bowl XXIX. He was on the road, on his way to basketball practice and he wanted a live play-by-play commentary.

Have to admit that I thought New England was about to lose when Seahawks WR Jermaine Kearse had that unreal multiple-bobble catch while on his back. With 1st-and-goal at the 5-yard line and enough time for at least 3 plays. I was pretty sure Marshawn Lynch, the Seattle monster running back also knows as Beast Mode, will punch in the winning touchdown. 

Deja vu at its worst. Ghosts of David Tyree's "helmet catch" in 2008, and Mario Manningham's sideline grab in 2012 were about to haunt the Patriots again.

And then it happened. On 2nd-and-goal at the 1, Russell Wilson threw a slant aimed at Ricardo Lockette. Seldom-used, backup Patriots defensive back Malcolm Butler, on instinct, jumped on the route and made an amazing interception on the football's biggest stage. Wow. Just wow.

I was screaming like hell. For sure, my neighbors wondered what was going on. I didn't care.

The Patriots win their 4th Super Bowl title in the most improbable fashion. It'been like 20 hours since the game ended, and I still cannot believe how they were able to pull it off.

Jubilation for the Patriots fans, despair for the Seahawks faithful. Fortunes changed in a span of a few seconds. But this is exactly why we love sports.

Un-fuckin-believable.


No comments: