Friday, March 24, 2006

IBS Basketball

A group of IBMers play basketball regularly at the Ateneo College covered courts. It was funny because there are a lot of Ateneans in IBM (all across the different subsidiaries, IBM Philippines, IBM Business Services, and IBM Solutions Delivery) yet more than half of those who play don't come from Ateneo. As a result, I was actually wondering why the games are scheduled there. Anyway, I welcome it nonetheless as I live like 5 minutes away from school. It's such a convenient venue for me.

I played with the main group for the first time last night. I say 'main' because there is another group that plays as well but in a different venue (coincidentally also along Katipunan though). It was interesting as I was not familiar about how these IBMers play. Having been used to serious and intense games, I wasn't sure how competitive my officemates were. I was hoping that they will provide enough spunk and attitude otherwise I might find the games boring and lackluster. Who would want that?

I was glad they took the game seriously. At the back of my head though I was thinking maybe they were just trying to show off because there were new guys playing. You know how territorial people are. They get motivated when they think someone's trying to encroach at their space. At any rate, I welcomed the challenge.

I was able to put on a little show. I guess I was a bit lucky because my shots were falling in. I was scoring at will with an assortment of shots both from inside and the perimeter. Highlight of the day? I got the ball just across halfcourt with the game tied (and on the line). I called for isolation, made a couple of dribbles capped with a quick head-and-shoulder fake. Swish. I sank a spectacular gamewinning trey from the top of the key with a hand on my face, to seal the victory for my team.

I couldn't have scripted the night any better. What a way to introduce myself to IBM basketball.

No comments: