Thursday, April 27, 2006

Eye Wide Shut

I got myself another major injury the other night. I was playing basketball with a couple of officemates at nearby Club 650. Anyhow, my left eye got poked real bad during one rebound play. It had me screaming, "Fuck, not again!"

I had a corneal abrasion already before, also from basketball. It was the most excruiciating injury I've ever had. The pain was just so unbearable. So I said to myself, "Please let this be just a regular eye-poke." I didn't want to go through the anguish and hassle again.

I managed to finish the game with one eye literally shut. Afterwards, I already had a bad feeling about my eye. I was thinking whether I should go to the hospital or not. Since I had experienced this before and I still have the medicines from the last abrasion, I decided to stay home.

I woke up the following day feeling worse. I couldn't open my eye and there was no way I would be able to go to work. I sent text messages to my officemates informing them of my absence. Good thing my boss was with me during the accident so he knew what I was going through. I didn't need to explain anymore.

As the day progressed, I felt it was best that I go to the hospital and have it checked. I went to the ER at Medical City to have them take a look at my injury. True enough, it was another corneal abrasion. They prescribed the same medication and gave me pretty much the same instructions as my previous doctors did before.

It usually takes about 3 days til the pain totally wears out. Eye injuries heal very quick, but they're also the most painful as well. That's the trade-off. No other organ heals faster than the eye. So that basically means that in a few days time, I should've fully recovered and can get back to playing full contact basketball.

I've a game this weekend that I don't want to miss.

No comments: