Saturday, April 01, 2006

an Ateneo Education

I chanced upon a very enticing column on yesterday's (March 31) The Philippine Star. I normally don't read the Opinions section but Boo Chanco's commentary had a title too interesting to pass up.

It read, "Is an expensive Ateneo education worth it?"

Being an Atenean, I was curious to find out how he would answer. Moreover, I was looking forward on reading how he would justify whatever answer he comes up with. I went on and finished the entire selection.

-----------------

I am an Atenean. I belong to High School batch 1999 and College batch 2003. Not many people may know though that I went to Colegio San Agustin for my elementary years. When people ask me what school (or schools) I went to, I would always say Ateneo. I don't mention CSA unless they ask me about grade school. Not to say I dissociate myself totally from the Augustinians, rather I feel that I was never educated by CSA. I may have finished elementary there, yet I never learned anything subtantial. My formative years were spent under the tutelage of the Jesuits, where I was able to develop the skills I need in life. My eight years at the Ateneo prepared me to face reality undaunted and confident about the uncertainty that will confront me.

This is why I believe that my Ateneo education is the finest investment I have.

-----------------

Boo Chanco concluded his essay saying that the expensive cost of an Ateneo education is well worth it, but only if the graduate recognizes its intrinsic value and does something about it in his life.

One will never realize its value if it is taken for granted. The value of an Ateneo education will never be quantifiable. It will not be about how much money one makes, or how much power and wealth one amasses. Rather, it is how one uses it to be a 'man for others', the mission being instilled upon Ateneans since day one.

2 comments:

Photography said...

AMEN to that.

nice blog. thanks and God bless

Gameover said...

Thanks. God bless you too.