Thursday, April 06, 2006

Townhall Meeting

For whatever reason, some of my officemates volunteered me to do the hosting chores for our company's second townhall meeting for 2006. It's a quarterly event that the company uses to update all employees about the happenings during the past quarter and inform everyone about the plans for the next quarter as well.

I was hesistant at first, primarily because I've only been in IBS for about a month. I barely knew my colleagues and the big bosses as well. Since I'm not familiar with them, I was afraid to make any mistakes especially mix-ups on identities. That'll be so embarassing. I couldn't say no to the organizers though. Since HR was in charge of the whole production, I just couldn't decline the offer especially since it was my HR manager along with one of the more senior HR officers who asked me. Nakakahiya naman to turn it down.

I hosted the townhall meeting today. In fact I had to do it twice. We had the main one this afternoon, together with 90% of the population, while we did the second a few hours ago for th ebenefit of the 50 or so night shift people. It was a good experience. I haven't done such a thing before, I mean not in front of 500-plus people so the whole gig was a new experience for me. I got to know more people from the company so that was an added bonus. They're asking me if I want to do the next one come July, and I just basically smiled.

Yeah, I'm open to doing it again. I mean, I don't stand to lose anything anyway. The benefits far outweigh the risks.

Besides at least for a couple of hours, I'm in control. Haha.

No comments: