Saturday, July 29, 2006

Partially torn ACL

Got my MRI results this morning. I immediately took out the report as I headed over to Dr. Bengzon's clinic.

It read:

Acute partial tear of the anterior cruciate ligament.
Bone contusions, lateral femoral condyle and posterior aspect of the tibial plateau.
Minimal joint effusion versus hemarthrosis.


It was a relief knowing that my ACL wasn't completely torn. Though I'm not sure whether it was good news or bad. It wasn't the best-case scenario but it surely wasn't worst-case either. I'd take it nonetheless.

Doc said I'm lucky to have strong thighs and legs. He was astonished on how I was able to survive my valgus-abduction clip injury (a direct blow to the side of the knee) with only a partial tear. Normally the MCL and meniscus give way too. He recommends that I should undergo a 4-week rehab program to strengthen my quads and hamstrings further.

I immediately had several thoughts and concerns about the results though. I grouped them into the "pros and cons".

Pros:
- I don't have to undergo reconstruction surgery
- No need for rehab/therapy for at least six months post-op
- My muscles won't atrophy
- I can go back to playing after about a month of therapy
- I don't have to miss work
- No crutches for me
- No incisions due to surgery
- Surgery and rehab is expensive (though my insurance will pay for most of it). I still won't have none of that.

Cons:
- Since there is a partial tear, I'm afraid that there's a high probability of completely tearing it in the future
- Knowing that I have a partially torn ACL might get into my head. It's just as difficult mentally as it is physically
- Should I stop playing strenuous and physically-demanding sports to prevent further damage?

I think the pros outweigh the cons so far. I'm grabbing myself a new pair of Jordans, and will have myself ready to play ball soon.

Watch out.

No comments: