Monday, February 06, 2006

Adidas 60, San Miguel 56

Chalk up another W for Ateneo Adidas.

We exacted revenge over Ateneo SMB with a hard-earned win last night over the team that beat us by 35 points back in the first game of the season. It was sweet revenge as we were overly matched then. I wasn't able to play in our first duel so that might have been a factor. Haha! Seriously though we played great last night and we erected a big 15 point lead during the first half. A series of fastbreak lay-ups and a couple of threes gave us a good cushion as the first half ended with Adidas leading, 29-20. A spirited SMB comeback came in the third quarter after a decisive 6-point play gave them the momentum. A teammate of mine was charged with a flagrant foul and-1 opportunity. They sank the extra freethrow and drilled a long three in the ensuing possession giving them slim lead. It was a close match from then on but we managed to make clutch shots down the stretch to give us the victory.

Oh yeah got a bit of bad news though, I tweaked my right ankle during the second quarter. It's the same ankle that I fractured last July. What a bummer. It hurt pretty bad but I managed to keep myself on the court. I couldn't run as much but I was still able to make good heads-up plays. I wasn't able to finish the game though. A slurry of fouls was called against me so I fouled out midway through the third canto. It was funny because it was the fouls that kept me from finishing the game and not my injured ankle. I think it was a blessing in disguise though as my teammates, who weren't really used to doing point guard duties, stepped up and did quite well in my absence. It gave them the opportunity to show what they got and they did an awesome job.

Three cheers for Adidas... Hephep, Hurray! Hephep, hurray! Hephep, hurray!

No comments: